It's so weird to me how fast time passes. As I get older, sometimes time feels like a blur to me. And as we age our perception of time only speeds up!
I'm not really sure how that's going to work in the future. As I went to bed tonight (I'm back up - I'm having one of those nights where sleep evades me) I know cognitively that tomorrow is Sunday. But I'm really still living back in the beginning of the week, planning what I need to be doing. Weird, huh!
Panic set in as I realized the week has passed and several items that are important to me have slipped through the cracks. As for the panic I have come to understand that the phase of consciousness between sleep and wakefulness is a terrible place to try to think rationally. I loose that battle every time. So, I'm up.
Back to the time thing. The passage of time has always been a negative for me. When I was a little girl I would mourn how fast time passed on school breaks or family vacations. I would count each day as it passed and be sad that, for example, 1 day had passed - only 6 more to go. I know it's silly. None-the-less that's how my mind works.
After the birth of each baby, I would spend the 1st week crying. I loved those 1st experiences with each new life and getting to know these lovely little people. But, I knew how quickly those moments pass and I could see my babies growing so fast. And not only that, no matter how hard I tried to imprint those memories into my mind and heart, I knew that they would eventually be lost and filed away in the "memory overload" folder in my head.
When I was a young mom, (it's a weird phenomenon when you pass from the young mom group to the older mom group - I'm not sure how it happens but it does) older moms would frequently tell me to enjoy those moments with my young ones because "they'll grow up before you know it". Wow, is that ever true!
This is one of those things in life that I just have to trust God with, knowing that He created a wonderful, lively, lovely world for us. He created us so that time passes quickly and speeds up as we get older. I don't know why, but He did. For now, that makes it good with me. I'm blessed to be a mother and thankful for every ever-so-quickly-passing moment.
I pray that God will enable me to be faithful with my time this week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment