Monday, January 5, 2009

Isn't It Odd

Isn’t it odd how well others can know us when we don’t really feel like we know ourselves? Here’s what I mean. Yesterday, Bethany said the very same words I said – as they came out of my mouth – with the same vocal expression, pitch, inflection, AND facial expression including head nod. How did she know what I was going to say when I didn’t even know!?

I’m 48 years old, have raised 2 grown daughters and am in the process of raising 4 more children. Yet, the way I perceive myself is much like Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade when he is in pursuit of the Holy Grail; not in the heroic sense but more in the way he bumbles.

Remember when he’s trying to get across the canyon to the cave where he has to choose which wine challis belonged to Jesus? His father gets shot and Indiana has to find the Holy Grail in order to heal his dad. He fumbles through all of the booby traps and in the end comes to a canyon and has to get to the other side and he can’t see a way across – that’s the part I relate to – the fumbling and not being able to see a way across. That’s how I perceive myself. I feel as though each step is unsure, praying that God will help me to be faithful to my children. In most situations, I can’t see the next step.

So, how did Bethany know me so well that she knew what I was going to say when I don’t even know myself that well. Our family was almost all together having a Sunday lunch at one of our favorite restaurants. Somehow, the topic of hooka bars came up. Hooka bars are popular among the young these days and I’ve been hearing my kids talk about them (I hear the tobacco is “very clean”!)

For those of you who aren’t familiar with hooka bars, Wikipedia defines a hooka bar as “A lounge or establishment where patrons share shisha (flavored Tobacco) from a communal Hookah which is placed at each table.”

I know this is unthinkable to some but when it comes to hooka I can’t give my girls a mandate because I have been known to smoke a cigar with Skip on occasion. Okay, I know that’s unthinkable too, but I only did it to show him how gross it was to kiss someone who’s been smoking a cigar. Instead, he thought I was to coolest wife on the face of the earth.

So recently, Rebekah tells me she is going to a hooka bar sometime soon. When the topic of hooka came up during our Sunday lunch, I asked Bethany to take Bekah. Skip looked at me and asked me what planet I was from.

Here’s my logic: Bethany really loves Jesus and is mature. I love Bethany! She’s smart! I love Rebekah! Why not send Bekah on her hooka spree with Bethany instead of taking a chance on Bekah going with someone not so desirable.

Here are the words and thoughts that ensued at that point. I said, “Well, I’d rather her go with Bethany than . . . (at this point my mind started rolodexing through Bekah’s friends as follows: Hannah – I love Hanah – I hope I get to see Hannah before she goes back to college for the spring semester; Kyle – he’s so cute – looks just like Shia LeBoeuf – he swallowed a pin recently – man, I have to remember to pray for him; Jordan – I love Jordan too – he keeps writing on my wall on Facebook so I won’t look like a looser – I bet his mom and I would be good friends if we ever had a chance to hang out; Bubba – ding, ding, ding . . . it came out of my mouth . . . now, back to the conversation at our family lunch) “I’d rather her go with Bethany than . . . (and I promise Bethany and I said, at the same time, with the same vocal expression, pitch, inflection, AND facial expression including head nod) Bubba! ( The name has been changed to protect the not-so-innocent.)

How do I feel about hooka bars? I honestly don’t care. Once, while getting my hair cut, I was complaining about how I couldn’t get one of my girls to keep her room picked up. My hair-cutting friend looked at me and said, “Lori, if that’s the worst problem that child has, then you’ve got it made.” The words rang true in my heart.

When does it matter? It matters when a thought, motive, or action separates our heart from the heart of God.

I’m glad that my girls can talk with Skip and me about hooka. I don’t want to have “unspeakable” topics that my children can’t talk to me about. I have to be careful about having too strong of a disapproving response when tough topics arise. This gets easier with practice.

Hopefully, that means that when it does matter and the situation is more difficult, the kids will feel safe about discussing the tough stuff. Well, except for Emily, who hasn’t yet told me she owns a hooka pipe; though it is very possible that I don’t remember her telling me. My kids tell me daily about stuff they’ve told me that I don’t remember.

What about the Indiana Jones bumbling thing. I’ve been reading a lot lately about hearing God’s voice. Dallas Willard and John Eldridge are my favorite authors on the topic.

Willard writes about a concept in Hearing God, a difficult but wonderful book, that as we become immersed in Jesus, we can trust that our thoughts and feelings become the thoughts and feelings of God. What a relief! So what do the thoughts and feelings of God look like . . . He is kind, loving, loyal, true, a protector, open to relationship, open in relationships, a healer, peace-making, merciful, just, holy, pure, and so much more . . .

I need to go. Sarah and I have a date over a cup of hot tea!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Friend, who we've not been so friends, only because we really don't know eachother very well(more like acquaintances)...but could be friends if we each weren't so devoted to our families...so friends as it were...maybe someday when we only have husbands to spread our time with...I'll will continue. I am so impressed with your blog. This is a very wonderful way to discuss openly things of the heart. I love your comparison of your life and that of the wise, strong and always safe in the end, Indiana Jones, bumbling as he may be.

    I am learning so much from my sisters in the Lord about how they manage to stay quiet when their children (young adults) speak openly about things that in the past we mother's would have gasped at. That is very wise and I commend you. When I raised my daughter who is now almost 28, I didn't do so well, which is very evident in that we are raising her children.

    We are very blessed to be in this position to "do it right" this time around. I pray that no one reading this will ever have to do this, but if they find themselves in this situation as I have, they will indeed find it a blessing, eventhough it is heart breaking to see your own not raise their own. We have been given a GREAT opportunity to take it from here. And so learning to give it to Him to take it... And what an honor and delight it truly is... So, back to what I was saying, I am learning so much from my sisters who are raising their young adult children still living at home and learning what it means to love and serve the Lord in their own calling.

    Just because I don't believe that I would find myself in a Hookah bar, doesn't mean that they should not. Jesus ate with the theives and I can see myself before I open my mouth, questioning why would He do that. (So wrong) Why question, instead, pray that those that choose to go to a place like that (???) don't know what it's like...would be stong and stand on the foundation that you and Skip have built for them to stand on, and stand therefore in Christ. Being who they are and knowing what they know. You have trained them and because you have left that line of communication open for them to speak the unspeakable then if they do something a little outside of what they are comfortable they will seek your guidance because they trust you. What a wonderful thing.

    I agree with you that two of like-minds going together will enhance their beliefs and all the more support one another in the new things they are experiencing. What a wonderful opportunity for them to balance eachother, and share in witnessing. I have another sister who always sent her two daughters together to experiences things, when it became time for them to go alone....There is accountability in going together.

    I laughed at your smoking of the cigar with Skip and how he thought you were the coolest wife. I can identify with that in my marriage as well. That's what Jonathan thought of me when he was roofing early in our marriage and I used to go up on two and three story roofs with him. Scared as I was, I realized that going up was easy compared to coming down the ladder, but being up there with him was the all in all for him, he spoke of that for years to his buddies at work... ( I had thought, what have I gotten myself into...)

    I will continue to enjoy reading.

    Sincerely,

    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Mama :D

    In my defense, I gave the hookah to Ryan :D But I have smoked hookah on many occasions. It is a very social event- like drinking coffee, especially in the Middle East. Honestly, you do get a little buzz from it, but I only experienced this when I was in Qatar- most hookah's in the USA that I have experienced seem lighter. Also, whether it is right or wrong may be something that is an individual moral standard. Smoking everyday or for long periods of time may be (in the USA, we share hookahs but abroad you smoke a whole one by yourself), but I have been able to build some cool relationships with students from all over the Middle East through a hookah and think that is a non-legalistic way that I can show respect for and meet a culture at its roots or participate in a fun activity with some friends in the USA.

    So, send BJ or do some research on the bar- a bar is a bar unless it is a coffee shop, and CS's Hookah Station is kinda skanky. Go Bekah!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete