Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Good Parent

When I read scriptures about identity that state that I am adopted into God’s family, I really think “no, it’s as though I am adopted into God’s family”. It’s really a figure of speech: a metaphor or simile. It’s like I’ve been adopted into God’s family. When I read scriptures like 1 John 3:1-3 which says “that we should be called children of God, and so we are” what I hear is it’s kind of like we should be called children of God.

But, I have been adopted by God! I am his child!

When each of my children was born, I instantly experienced a deep love for them. I love lots of children but when it comes to my own, I LOVE them; they are mine. That’s the kind of love God has for me. When my child is struggling, I care about his or her heart as they walk through a difficult experience. I’m glad to help them. I want them to know they're not alone in the situation and that I will help. That’s the kind of love God has for me!

When I forget that I am God’s child I forget that he is with me and that he helps me. I think and behave as though I am alone; I swindle myself out of a loving God-child relationship with my Father. I default to I’ll just have to take care of myself and that’s a scary thought.

This truth changes me. I am comforted because God is with me in every circumstance. I can freely love others because I am God’s child. I have nothing about myself to protect. God, my Father, will protect me. I know God provides for me. He is The Good Parent who takes care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment