Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Reaching Out

We usually have a group of friends and acquaintances that we love and enjoy and choose to share our lives with. For some of us (myself included) we hang out with people who are like us - usually church folk.

A lot of us don't have relationships with people outside of God's people. We hang out with other Christians "like us". I've spent so much time protecting my little ones from sins and sinners. And I know that has been the right thing to do. In fact, I can't stress just how important it is to shelter children from harm that could be caused either by exposure to too much too soon or from harm that could be inflicted on them by those who would prey on their innocence. But, that's a whole other blog post.

However, as my family is growing up, God is giving me a greater desire to share my life with people who are different from me and hurting. I've realized that there are a lot of people who I'm already around every day that I can choose to share my life with.

I know the saving grace of Jesus. I know that even when I was in sin and lost, God sent His only Son to die a gruesome death as a satisfactory sacrifice for my sin. I know the pain of living separated from God and I know the satisfaction that comes from being a "friend of God".

When someone is lost - they're lost. If they knew the way they wouldn't be lost. For the people in our lives who don't know Christ, we may be the only influence in their life of someone who does know Him.

That person needs relationship with us to show the way to God. They're already well acquainted with judgment and rejection. If Jesus was here they'd get something much more engaging. They would get something they could not resist.

But then, He is here - in us!

No comments:

Post a Comment