Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Learning to Refect Christ

I have struggled all my life with feeling belittled. It usually looks like this: Someone says or does something that makes me feel unappreciated or under-valued. I take offense. I turn inward and mope and sulk and play the injustice of it all over and over in my head. I tell myself, “Don’t they know how sweet and good-natured I am. How could they possibly not like me? If they were better people, I wouldn’t have this problem.” Sadly, I have some broken relationships in my past.

I haven’t had a name for what I was experiencing but I am familiar with the process. It’s only been recently that I’ve even come close to being free from this reaction to being belittled. I have repented of pride and being self-righteous. I see that Jesus died for MY sin not just the sin of all those bad people out there. (I know – pretty ugly!) I want to reflect Christ in this area of my life.

Christ-likeness: Someone belittles me. I know that God loves and values me. He enables me to love and value others. I live humbly, laying down my life for others because my need for value is not met by them. It is met by Christ. The result is that I reflect Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment